So as I said in my earlier posts, its really hard to tell if you actually require medical attention when you are a hypochondriac. Today I felt my back pain was worse when standing on concrete, and better when sitting. Then it disspeared entirely for a few hours.
In those hours I was distracted by a project. When I stopped for a moment, and though, does my back hurt, it did. Again this evening, my back twinged twice in 5 hours, when i thought about it. I had friends over, and we were playing a game. Now sitting here my back is a bit tingly, but I have to wonder, do I actually have back pain cause by a physiological problem, or is this pain entirely psychological. The pain doesn’t seem to exist when i don’t think about it, and I can’t be sure that the pain I am feeling has proceeded the thought, at least not in the last month. For now I am going to try relaxing, and maybe if it is still around in a week, I might see a doctor, just to be sure.
In the interim I need to not go insane from worry, so I use a few of the following strategies:
First I remind myself
- I always “find” something
- If you poke somewhere long enough, it becomes sore
- Its unlikely all the things i “have” will ever occur at the same time
- Even if it is “wrong’ with me, people have “X” and survive it, have surgeries, cope, etc.
If this doesn’t work I move on to
- A few deep breaths
- Try and think about something else for a while
- If mid-day go for a short walk, maybe get a tea
- Take a few sips of tea, focus on the flavor (orient myself)
- Try a placebo, even if you know its a placebo, sometimes it works. Researched backed
- Set a time limit, for example, when trying to sleep say if I check next time and its been 10 minutes, get up and read for 20 minutes to relax
- When trying to sleep, open your eyes and focus on something in the room, it helps orient you, and makes imaginings less vivid
- Blog, ie: write it out, talk it out, express your worry.
- Give yourself 5 minutes, I am going to be worried for the next 5 minutes, think out all the horrible catastrophes lurking, then start back at 1.
Now I am going to bed, late and without reading, but I am beyond dead. Night all, and hope you have good luck getting to sleep quickly and easily